In this article, you will learn how to use Plain Text Mode. When composing an email, it can be difficult to insert content from multiple resources into one cohesive document. Variations in style and format between resources can cause visual issues and take away from the content of the email. Plain Text Mode allows users to create a seamless style throughout the composition of an email, and removes the varying styles of different resources.
Compose a new message
To start using plain text mode, you need to open a compose window and click on the Enter Plain Text Mode icon found in the formatting toolbar. This allows you to compose a new message without any formatting.
Once you have added all content to the email you can switch out of plain text mode by clicking the same Plain Text Mode button used to enter the mode. Now that you have switched out of this mode you can apply any formatting, table styling, or inline images desired.
Convert a message to plain text
After adding content from another resource or replying to an email containing multiple styles, you may encounter issues with editing the content or changing its format. In this case, you can convert the entire message to plain text mode, thereby removing all formatting, table styling, and inline images. This process allows you to continue editing the email without distraction, and once complete you can add any desired formatting to the content. To convert an existing draft or reply you can follow these steps:
- Open the existing draft or reply to an existing email.
- Click on Enter Plain Text Mode.
- A confirmation box will appear "Convert this email to plain text?" with the Note: Selecting plain text will remove all text formatting from this message. You will lose all text styles, formatting properties, and images within the body. This cannot be undone. Switch back to rich text mode to add styling within the composer.
- Click on Convert. You have the option to click "Do not ask me again" to prevent this prompt in the future.
- Once the message has been converted, you can click on Exit Plain Text Mode.
- Apply necessary changes and formatting to the whole message as necessary.
Note: a confirmation will pop-up to ensure you would like to switch your text to plain mode.
Viewing a Message in Plain Text Mode
To eliminate the formatting and styling of a message received in SEDNA, users can simply click the Plain Text Mode button on the top right hand corner of the message as pictured below. This allows users to separate the formatting from the content of a message while reading through, and revert the message back to its initial formatting when done.